Skip to content ↓


Decisions about whether a student has SEND

How does Windmill Hill know if young people need extra help, and what should parents/carers do if they think their child may have special educational needs?

We use a variety of assessment data to identify and assess students with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities. This includes:

  • Teachers’ professional judgment based on ongoing formative assessment
  • Completion of standardised assessment and diagnostics tracking databases
  • Termly tracking data for PSHCE, Science, IT and Computing
  • End of Key Stage Statutory Assessment Test data
  • Discussions with parents/carers

How is the decision made about how much individual support students will receive?

  • The class teacher, senior management staff - acting on the advice of other professionals as appropriate - are involved in deciding how much individual support students receive. The decision-making process may also involve the Headteacher, and parents/carers are directly involved and consulted at every stage. If a student has a Statement of Special Educational Needs or Education Health and Care Plan [EHCP], the local authority is a vital part of the process as well.
  • Students with special educational needs and disabilities have an Individual Education Plan in place, which contains short-term, achievable targets, and is reviewed at least termly in conjunction with parents/carers.
  • Class teachers are responsible for day-to-day provision, and they manage the work of any teaching assistants who work with our SEN students. Support and guidance is provided as necessary from members of the Leadership Team and Family Support Worker, as do other external professionals e.g. paediatricians, Autism Outreach Team, educational and clinical psychologists, physiotherapists, Hearing and Visual Impairment Teams and our specialist occupational therapist.
  • Provision for SEND children always reflects the recommendations of outside agency professionals, where appropriate.
  • Some teaching assistants are employed to work directly with named students, whereas others have a more general role e.g. providing intervention programmes for groups and individuals, or supporting students in lessons/subject areas.
  • Parents/carers are informed of their child’s progress through informal discussion with the class teacher, as well as more formal Annual/Transition Reviews, Individual Education Plans [IEPs] review periods, and regular parents’ information evenings.
Support for Learning and Well-being

How does Windmill Hill help parents/carers to support their child’s learning?

  • How we explain to parents/carers how their child’s learning is planned depends very much on the child’s individual needs.
  • Meetings are held with parents/carers on a formal and informal basis.
  • On an individual basis more personal meetings are held with parents/carers, if and when required.
  • To help parents/carers support their child’s learning outside Windmill Hill, specific advice is provided through key focus meetings.
  • Our Family Support Worker works closely to provide support for parents/carers
  • Support meetings and workshops are offered to parents/carers

How is student learning and well-being supported?


  • Attendance data is monitored carefully. Our Family Support worker offers support to students and families who may have difficulties in this area.  The Educational Entitlement Team may become involved if it is deemed necessary.
  • Some individual students may be taught tailor-made programmes as required e.g. Alternative Curriculum, Speech and Language Therapy [SALT] programmes etc.


  • Specifically trained teaching assistants work with children on an individual basis.
  • Students are provided with either specific 1:1 support or small group support e.g. for anger management/social communication needs.
  • Medication training is provided and continually updated e.g. use of Epi-pens, Midazolam administration and other controlled drugs/medication. Parents/carers are asked to complete a consent form as well as providing specific information from the GP prescribing the medication.
  • Student views are welcomed and valued through student council as well as through the development of positive relationships that promote all forms of communication.
  • Mental health will be openly acknowledged through activities in which students are involved.
Staff training

What training have the staff supporting pupils with SEN had, or what are they expected to have?

[NB Under the SEND Code of Practice legislation, schools/academies need to offer high quality professional development and training to the work force]

  • Staff have received training related to Autism Spectrum Conditions [ASC], Mental Health and Wellbeing and EHA [Lead Professional].  They have also received Protective Behaviour, Team Teach, training for hearing impairments, speech and language therapy and a range of other identified and relevant continuous professional learning.
  • Staff receive SEND training as required for individual students.
  • Staff training is conducted on a weekly basis to ensure our high standards of teaching are met.
Further Information

Who can parents contact for further information?

  • The first point of contact for a parent if they want to discuss something about their child would be the child’s class teacher.
  • If more advice/ information is required they are welcome to contact the Head/Deputy Head.
  • Complaints about the school should be directed to the Deputy Head or Headteacher depending on the nature of the complaint.
  • Complaints about the Headteacher should be directed to the Chair of Governors.

Windmill Hill School welcomes the involvement of The Information, Advice and Support Service where necessary.